Roy Hodgson should justifiably be a proud man, after coaching 16 teams in 8 countries he has bloodied the jaw of a once fearsome opponent. And Ole should be worried. Because while many mistakes were made, here are at least 7 sins Manchester United committed against Crystal Palace, handing that team their first ever win over MU in the Premiere League era.
- Playing for a draw after equalising in the 89th minute. SAF would never have done that.
- De Gea conceding at his near post in the 93rd minute. Soft?
- Not winning when having possession. United have lost 9/14 games when they had more possession than their opponents. Better on the break?
- Victor Lindelof losing the header that led to the first Palace goal. Soft. Contract negotiations and double wage packet seems to have gone to his…er…head?
- 22 so called “chances” with only 2 half-chances in that. Aimlessness when having the ball. Clearly not knowing what to do with it.
- Pogba loses possession and the team concedes…
- Rashford spurns a penalty. Argh…
Losing at home in the third game of the season to Palace. SAF would have issued the hairdryer treatment and perhaps thrown a boot or two for good measure. Old Trafford is no fortress anymore, that’s for sure. The fear factor has sailed over the horizon, just as Liverpool and Man City seem to be off in that direction too.