Southampton players have decided not to take their salaries until June, thus becoming the first Premier League club to take a pay cut during the coronavirus crisis.
Manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and his staff, as well as the board of directors, will also cut their salaries.
This comes after the Premier League clubs previously said they would ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect non-playing staff.
Southampton have also said they will not be using the government’s furlough scheme in April, May and June and all staff not deferring their salaries will continue to receive 100% of their payment.
“The board of directors, the first-team manager, his coaching staff and the first-team squad have agreed to defer part of their salaries for the months of April, May and June to help protect the future of the club, the staff that work within it and the community we serve.
— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) April 3, 2020
“In these unprecedented times we are dealing with many challenges to our business model and day-to-day operations. The situation is ever-evolving and we will continue to monitor and assess the impact to the club over the coming weeks before deciding any further action necessary.
“Everyone at the club remains fully committed to the community we value so highly in Southampton. We will continue to offer our full support to the city of Southampton through the work of the Saints Foundation and provide any further assistance we can.
“We ask everyone connected to the club and the city of Southampton to listen and adhere to the government’s advice.
“Meanwhile, we will continue to prepare our club for a return to the pitch and make sure that, when safe, we are ready to play and serve the people of Southampton again.
“Until then, We March On. Together.”