Vietnam advance to AFF U23 Championship finals after beating Malaysia 4-1,Indonesia beats Thailand 3-1

Vietnam’s U23 team secured a convincing 4-1 victory against U23 Malaysia on August 24, becoming the first team to advance to the finals of the 2023 AFF U23 Championship.

In the eighth minute, Minh Quang sprinted down the right flank before delivering a well-placed cross to Xuan Tien, who finished from close range to open the scoring.

The two other goals were later made by Quoc Viet and Xuan Tien before the first half ended.

In the second half, the opponents quickly managed to pull one back in the 49th minute with Muahmmed Alif’s header, making the score 3-1.

Showing resilient defense, towards the end of the second half, U23 Vietnam scored another goal to secure a convincing 4-1 victory.

The reigning champions will play Indonesia, who beat title favorites Thailand 3-1 in the second semi-final.

The final will take place at 8pm on August 26.

Indonesia players celebrate the third goal against Thailand in the AFF U23 Championship semifinal on Aug. 24, 2023. Photo by VnExpress/Lam Thoa

Indonesia beat hosts Thailand 3-1 in a bad-tempered semifinal to set up a final with Vietnam in the AFF U23 Championship.

Just like the SEA Games final in May, the match was marred by rough play and dangerous tackles though this time there were no brawls.

Before the match the Football Association of Thailand reminded the players to focus on the game and keep their cool. But Indonesia’s rough style seemed to bring out all the animosity in the open.

When striker Kelly Sroyer opened the scoring for Indonesia in the 10th minute, the Thai players lost their temper.

When Sroyer was on the ball in the 18th minute, two Thai players shoved him from the front and back.

But the lack of composure caused Thailand to concede a second goal five minutes later when a strong throw-in by defender Robi Darwis into the penalty area found center-back Muhammad Ferarri, who headed it in.

The Thai defense struggled time and again with Darwis’s fearsome throw-ins.

Indonesia generally played better than the hosts but were confused sometimes, especially after striker Chukid Wanpraphao’s header got one back for Thailand in the 27th minute.

Head coach Shin Tae-Yong went to the touchline and signaled to the players to slow down the tempo.

It proved effective as Indonesia gradually regained control of the game to make it 3-1 by the end of the first half after an own goal by defender Natcha Promsomboon.