Liverpool Hold Off Celebrations, Chelsea Complete Comeback Win

Liverpool was forced to hold off on celebrating after being held to a 0-0 draw against local rivals Everton, while Chelsea came from behind against Aston Villa to give themselves a comfortable five-point cushion in fourth place.

The day began with Sheffield United’s trip to Newcastle, as Chris Wilder’s men aimed to make amends for the 0-0 draw against Aston Villa in midweek. However, the Blades were unable to build on that performance, as second-half goals from Saint-Maximin, Riche, and Joelinton gave the hosts an emphatic win.

Had Sheffield collected their five dropped points since the restart, they would be just two points off a Champions League place – a remarkable achievement for the newly-promoted side. Now, unfortunately, they fall to seventh having been overtaken by Wolverhampton Wanderers, who won their match against West Ham on Saturday.

Later, Chelsea took to the pitch, hoping to restart the campaign with a win. The side was on fine form just before the break, dispatching Everton 5-0 at Stamford Bridge in their last game, but struggled to shake off the rust during the early stages at Villa Park.

Despite having an overwhelming majority of possession, Chelsea struggled to break their hosts down and was eventually hit against the run of play as Kourtney Hause scored his first goal for Aston Villa, giving the hosts an unlikely lead.

In desperate need of a boost, Frank Lampard called upon Ross Barkley and Christian Pulisic early in the second half – the latter of whom would score the side’s equalizing goal, getting to the back post in time to convert Cesar Azpilicueta’s cross.

With momentum now in their favor, Chelsea struck again just two minutes later to pull the scoreline in their favor, ultimately holding on for a crucial three points on the road. For Villa, the result leaves them in a precarious position, two points from safety.

In the day’s late game, Liverpool faced Everton in the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park, needing two more wins to wrap up the Premier League title.

However, the two sides played out a lethargic game with limited goalmouth action. Despite controlling the majority of possession, Liverpool and Everton created a similar amount of chances throughout the game and failed to make it count in the final third.

Richarlison presented the home side’s best threat going forward, but the Brazilian was unable to convert his chances and the game ended scoreless.

Liverpool now await the result of Manchester City’s game against Burnley, who they will face themselves on Matchday 32.