Andres Iniesta has revealed that he would snub Australia and choose either China or Japan as the next destination of his career.
Iniesta, 34, will leave Barcelona at the end of the season after 16 campaigns at the club.
With clubs in China, Japan and Australia are joining the race to get the signing of Iniesta, the Spanish legend said that he was close to making a decision, with one option “more advanced than another”.
“I must make a decision that is one of the most important that I will have taken,” Iniesta told Onda Cero in an interview on Monday, as translated by SBS The World Game.
“There are two scenarios – China and Japan – each with its own things. We have to put everything in the balance and decide what is best.
“Next week I hope to give an answer and focus on the World Cup.”
Last week, the FFA had reportedly revealed a $3m war chest designed to help A-League clubs lure marquee signings as well as contacting Iniesta to gauge his interest in joining the league.
It is understood that four clubs, including Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory, Newcastle Jets and Western Sydney Wanderers, are showing their interests in the Barcelona great.