Rest of SEA AFC Cup

AFC Cup Wrap: Ceres-Negros thrash Tampines Rovers

Ceres-Negros eased to a thumping 5-0 victory over Tampines Rovers in their AFC Cup Group G encounter at the Panaad Stadium on Tuesday. The Filipino side romped to a 3-0 lead at the break thanks to an early goal from midfielder Iain Ramsay, before striker Bienvenido Maranon and midfielder Manuel Ott’s screamers from outside the area.

The home side added two more goals in the second-half, with Maranon grabbing his second and compatriot Fernando Rodríguez adding the fifth. The result sees Ceres now move top of Group G, while the visitors remain in second place.

In the earlier match of Group G, host Felda United of Malaysia drew 1-1 with Hanoi FC at Shah Alam Stadium. Felda took the lead in the 23rd minute when Zah Rahan Krangar caught Hanoi goalkeeper Phi Minh Long out of position and scored a spectacular 40-metre strike.

Midfielder Do Hung Dung equalized for Hanoi late in the game with a shot off the crossbar from an assist by Sam Ngoc Duc in the 91st minute. This result means Felda have one point after two games and remain in the fourth place, while Hanoi now sit on third with two points after two games.

Global FC of the Philippines defeated Cambodia’s Boeung Ket Angkor FC 2-0 in their Group F encounter of the AFC Cup played in Phnom Penh on Tuesday night.

Two goals by midfielder Paul Mulders, one in either half, gave the visitors the win and top spot in the group standings on six points while Beoungket remains bottom with no points after two games.

Johor Darul Ta’zim FC fought with everything they had but could only claim a point against Magwe FC in Myanmar in the second round of fixtures in Group F. Johor scored the opening goal in the 27th minute after some intricate build-up play and a stunning strike from winger Gopinathan Ramachandra.

Magwe increased the pressure in the second half, and eventually got the equalizing goal through Sylla Sekou as he slotted the ball past Marlias in composed fashion. The draw means Johor remain in second place with four points after two games, while Magew earn their first point to move up to third.

In Tuesday night’s Group C encounters, Nejmeh narrowly edged Saham 2-1 at the Saida International Stadium in Sidon. The Lebanese outfit opened the scoring via a header Akram Moghrabi, but Saham’s Mohammed Al Ghassani cancelled that out just two minutes later with a powerful volley as the game opened up. Nicholas Cofie would be the hero of the night as he curled a brilliant effort into the top corner in the 70th minute. The victory sees Nejmeh move into second in Group C after two games.

In other Group C action, Al Muharraq and Al Wehdat shared the spoils in a match ending with a 1-1 scoreline at the Bahrain National Stadium. Ismail Abdullatif helped Al Muharraq take the lead in the eighth minute when his deflected shot found the back of the net. Al Wehdat leveled matters 20 minutes later when Abu Anarah coolly converted a penalty. The point keeps Jordan club Al Wehdat at the top of the group, one point ahead of Nejmeh.