Southeast Asia Malaysia

LS Matchweek 10 Recap: Kedah Edge Out KL with Dramatic Finish as Hakimi Sentences JDT to Defeat

Matchweek 10 of the current Liga Super Malaysia campaign was played out over the weekend, with highlights including a two-goal salvo from Kipre Tchetche in injury time ensuring Kedah Darul Aman a 3-2 win over Kuala Lumpur City at the Darul Aman Stadium on Friday, a single goal from Terengganu FC’s Hakimi Abdullah condemning league leaders Johor Darul Ta’zim to their first Liga Super defeat in 21 matches on Saturday, and UiTM FC continuing their nightmare start to the season with a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Petaling Jaya City on Sunday.

After a goalless first half at the Darul Aman Stadium, Kuala Lumpur managed to nick themselves the lead in the 50th minute. when Paulo Josue’s long-ranged low-drive went beyond the reaches of Kedah goalkeeper Shahril Sa’ari. However, Kedah struck back in the 71st minute through Fayadh Zulkifli, who took advantage of a short pass from Kipre to stab home past Kuala Lumpur custodian Kevin Ray Mendoza.

The City Boys struck back in the 79th minute though, with Giancarlo Gallifuoco heading home a Josue corner kick past Shahril to regain Kuala Lumpur’s lead.

With the visitors seemingly set to take the three points back to the Federal Territory, disaster struck for Kuala Lumpur in the third minute of injury time after Gallifuoco had conceded a penalty by shoving Rozaimi Rahman inside the area. Kipre took the ensuing spot kick and made short work of his assignment, beating Mendoza with a well-taken shot to draw the scoreline level for Kedah.

The three points were then placed into Kedah’s possession in the sixth minute of injury time, after Kipre had came out of nowhere to smash home Renan Alves’ ball past Mendoza, much to the despair of the Kuala Lumpur camp and much to the delight of their Kedah counterparts.

Friday’s Matchweek 10 action also saw an exciting 2-2 draw between Selangor FC and Sabah FC at the Petaling Jaya Stadium, with Bobby Gonzales slotting home an 88th minute equalizer for the latter.

On Saturday, Terengganu had the unenviable task of traveling to JDT’s Sultan Ibrahim Stadium, a ground that had claimed many Liga Super teams as its victim. League leaders JDT are looking to establish some breathing space between themselves and 2nd placed Terengganu, with things seemingly going according to plan with danger-man Bergson forcing Terengganu goalkeeper Suhaimi Husin into a save after just six minutes.

Six minutes later it was Terengganu’s David da Silva who forced a save from JDT goalie Farizal Marlias, the Brazilian’s shot being easily collected by the 34-year old goalkeeper after a critical deflection from JDT defender Mauricio.

Both sides then traded chances after chances, before Terengganu shockingly took the lead in the 57th minute. 21-year old winger Hakimi took advantage of a JDT defensive mix-up that saw him gaining possession at a dangerous area. Hakimi then chips the ball over an onrushing Farizal to give the Turtles the all-important lead, silencing the Sultan Ibrahim Stadium in the process.

Stung by Hakimi’s goal, JDT tried their best to claw their way back into the game, however their profligacy in front of goal meant that Husin did not break a sweat between the Terengganu sticks. In the end no further goals were scored and JDT were condemned to their first Liga Super defeat since July 2019, a streak that lasted for 21 matches across two seasons.

Saturday’s other result saw Penang FC continuing their excellent form in the Liga Super with a 3-0 battering of Sri Pahang FC, a result that meant newly promoted Penang are well in the top four mix alongside 3rd placed Kedah, 2nd placed Terengganu, and leaders JDT. The three points also gave the Panthers a four point-cushion over 5th placed Selangor.

Last but not least on Sunday, bottom side UiTM’s woes continued as they fail to win their 11th Liga Super match of the season, conceding a 1-0 defeat to state rivals PJ City at the UiTM Stadium. Tamil Maran Manimaran scored the only goal for the Phoenixes in the 82nd minute that rooted the Lion Troops to the league’s basement. Also on Sunday, Melaka United managed to eke out a 1-0 win away at Perak FC courtesy of a 61st minute strike from Wan Zaharulnizam Zakaria.