Southeast Asia Thailand

Port Beat Ratchaburi to Lift FA Cup Trophy

Obb Deewajin

Football Tribe Thailand


Port FC celebrate their first FA Cup trophy in ten years with a victory over Ratchaburi FC in a game involving two red cards and two goals chalked off by VAR.

The Klongtoey Army filled up the BG Stadium with shades of orange and blue, creating a vibrant which the players definitely feed on. The emotional Pakorn Prempak, who only a few months back got into an altercation with his own fans, looked really up for the occasion and caused Ratchaburi FC all sorts of trouble down the flank.

The right-winger’s deep cross and a little header nudge by striker Sergio Suarez found Bordin Phala at the back post but Ratchaburi FC right-back Philip Roller was there to cleared the danger away. A moment later, Pakorn’s powerful shot forced a save from goalkeeper Ukrit Wongmeema – that was two decent chances in just the first 20 minutes. 

Dragon’s left-back Jirawat Thongsaengphrao was having an issue closing down Pakorn Prempak and was replaced by the more physical and defensive-minded Alongkorn Pathumwong.

In the 25th minute, Jirawat followed Pakorn high up the pitch, exposing a huge gap on the left side of the Ratchaburi defense. Go Seul Ki’s long ball over the top found Sergio Suarez free, the Spanish midfielder instinctively squared a pass onto Sumanya Purisai’s perfectly-timed run. The ball hits the back of the net, the crowd goes wild. 

However, the celebration was cancelled when VAR correctly ruled the goal offside.

Port FC continued to dominate most of the possession, largely due to Ratchaburi’s poor composure on the ball. Yet, a fantastic burst of pace from captain Philip Roller carried the ball forward from the halfway line to Port FC’s penalty area. Pacey forward Steeven Langil picked up Roller’s overhit cross on the opposite corner flag then drilled in a hard near post cross which was fumbled by keeper Worawut Srisupha and bundled in by Lossémy Karaboué. 

Nevertheless, VAR ruled the goal out once more due to Karaboué’s stumble on Worawut just seconds before the cross from Langil came in. Ratchaburi were, understandably, furious with the decision and headed into the break frustrated.

The occasion might’ve got into the Ratchaburi players’ heads as they start the second half in such a sluggish manner – sitting considerably deeper, offering the opposition time and space to circulate the ball around.

And after two minutes of Port FC-only possession, the Lions took the lead via Sergio Suarez’s technical brilliance. Midfield conductor Go Seul-Ki was free to lookup for a pass and, with great vision, picked out Suarez’s vertical run down at the heart of the Ratchaburi backline. Suarez brought the ball down with a superb first-touch before finishing with a simple poke – no need for VAR this time. 

Lossémy Karaboué was perhaps the liveliest of the attacking trio, where he partnered Yannick Boli and Steeven Langil. The three of them have been a crucial weapon for Ratchaburi FC this season. Karaboué’s 65th-minute long-distance effort the closest Ratchaburi got to an equalizer.

Things got even worst for Ratchaburi when centre-back Pawee Tanthatemee brought down Kevin Deeromram in a sprint race and was awarded his second yellow. Replay showed there was little contact. But Pawee wasn’t the only one sent for an early bath that night as Pakorn was also sent off in extra-time for stepping on Roller’s ankle. 

The only notable thing from the following freekick was the final whistle which earned Port FC their 3rd FA Cup trophies – their first FA Cup triumph in 10 years and their first silverware under the reign of chairwomen Nualphan Lamsam, better known as Madame Pang. The side can hold their heads high after finally having some silverware to show for the investment injected in the squad in recent seasons, and have made the league far more colorful and exciting by continuing to compete at the upper echelons of the Thai game.